NORTH GARNER ATHLETIC INFORMATION
Soccer Tryouts will begin on Monday, February 26, 2024, at 3:45 pm on the stadium field.
Spring Sports Tryout Information
Spring tryouts will begin Wednesday, February 21st after school and end at 6:00 pm. All rides should be here by 6:00pm. After the first day of tryouts, coaches will communicate with players about remaining tryout days, times, cuts, first practice, and parent meetings. Specific tryout dates for Track and Field events will be shared before tryouts begin.
Tryouts are open to 7th and 8th graders. In order to tryout, students and parents must complete the following requirements by February 16th:
Parents must upload all of the required paperwork (including an up-to-date physical) to DragonFly: You must have all green checks to be eligible. Our athletic director will be updating this regularly. If you are missing something, you will receive a notification from them via Dragonfly. Make sure to check your email and Dragonfly regularly account until you get all green checks. If you are unable to complete your forms via DragonFly you may still submit paper forms to Mr. Powell or drop them off in the front office. If you have already submitted an Athletic Participation Form this school year you do not have to submit another one unless your physical has expired. Physicals are good for 395 days.
Each coach will have a roster of those who are cleared for tryouts.
If you have any questions, please email our Athletic Director, Mr. Powell (email@example.com)
Below are a few answers to common eligibility questions:
How is Eligibility Determined? – Eligibility is based on the previous semester. Students must meet academic and attendance standards (see below). Fall Sports – 2nd Semester of previous school year. Winter Sports – Being with 2nd semester of previous year. The semester changes over in January, so eligibility for basketball and cheer will be reevaluated during that time. Spring Sports – Based on First Semester of current School year. For more details, check out the WCPSS Athletics Webpage.
How many absences can you have and still be eligible? – 14 absences are the maximum in the previous semester. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THEY ARE EXCUSED OR UNEXCUSED.
What grades are required to be eligible? – You must pass 3 out 4 Core Classes in the previous semester. The most current guidelines are found at https://www.wcpss.net/Page/1459.
You may register for tryouts by completing the Google Form below or by using this link.
ALL ATHLETIC ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES
Eligibility: In order to be eligible for any athletic activity, the athlete:
1. Must be currently enrolled in seventh or eighth grade in WCPSS.
2. Must meet all eligibility requirements prior to the first tryout/practice date.
3. Must have a completed and signed Middle School Athletic Participation Form prior to the first tryout/practice date.
4. Must not participate if he/she becomes 15 years of age on or before August 31, 2019.
5. Must receive a medical examination once every 395 days by a licensed medical physician, physician’s assistant or family practitioner in the United States.
6. Must read the Concussion Information Sheet, initial and sign the Student-Athlete & Parent/Legal Custodian Concussion Statement each year.
7. Must meet promotion requirements to be eligible for fall semester. The State Board of Education defines promotion as “progressing to the next grade.” Students retained either by the school or the parents will be ineligible for the fall semester.
8. 6 Semester Rule – No student may be eligible to participate at the Middle School level for a period lasting longer than 6 consecutive semesters beginning with the students’ first entry into 6th grade. The principal shall have evidence of the date of each player’s entry into the 6th grade.
9. Must earn passing grades (D or better) in a minimum of three core courses each semester to be eligible for participating during the succeeding semester.
10. Must not have more than 14 total absences (85% attendance requirement) in the semester prior to athletic participation. This is a State Board of Education requirement. According to Board Policy, students who participate in interscholastic athletics must meet all requirements of the State Board of Education.
11. Must not participate (practice or play) if ineligible.
12. Must not participate (practice or play) in any athletic event if suspended or is actively serving in the in-school suspension program for that day or days.
13. Must be present in school the entire day in order to participate in practices or games.
14. Must live with a parent or legal custodian within the Wake County Public School System administrative unit. (Must notify the athletic director if not living with a parent or legal custodian.)
15. A player must practice a total of six (6) days before playing in a game in all sports except football, where a player must practice nine (9) days.
16. A player injured requiring medical attention and/or absent due to illness must meet eligibility requirements and must have practiced the required number of days above (# 15). This player may not participate in practice or a contest without a doctor’s note. Students absent from athletic practice 5 or more days due to illness or injury shall receive a medical release by a licensed physician before readmittance to practice or play.
17. If school is not in session or school closes early, no practice or game will take place. There will be no practice on Saturdays (this includes year round schools), holidays, or vacation days